Thursday, April 3, 2014

V332 Series Wrap Up - Orioles Drop Two of Three to Red Sox in Opening Series

I'd be lying if I said this is how I wanted to start the season. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't confident that the Orioles would win this opening series after taking the first game 2-1. With that said, all is not lost in the Orioles 162-game journey to the division title.

Perspective: First, let me give the Red Sox credit for winning the series. They did. And we can't take those two games away from them. Still, I'm struck by how fluky this game was. Chen was not on his game at all, but he was not hit hard. An unusual number of bloopers fell in for Boston hits. In contrast, after a few impressive innings by Doubront to open the game, the Orioles started to hit him hard. And they did the same against the Boston 'pen until Koji came in to shut the door. My point? This game could very easily have gone the other way.

What I liked about the series: (1) Orioles pitching held the current world series champions to less than 4 runs per game; (2) CRUZ!; (3) Wieters 5-for-11 in the series; (4) Britton looks like an unstoppable force this year.

What I liked tonight: (1) Davis and Wieters hit the ball hard tonight — Davis's double to center looked like vintage 2013 Davis and that is a very...good...sign; (2) Jones drew a walk — I think there's a saying about being able to stand an egg on its end on nights when Jones walks so I'm going to give that a shot after I post this; (3) two hits from Markakis in the lead-off spot.

What concerns me: Nothing, because it's too early. That's a cop-out? In that case, here are a couple things I'll be "keeping my eye on." First, the three Orioles starters in this series averaged less than six innings pitched. In fact, only Jimenez pitched six complete. Short outings are not unusual early in the season and particularly in a pitcher's first appearance, but these early departures will destroy the bullpen if they continue (see 2013). I would like to see the average innings increase by one in the second starts by Tillman, Jimenez, and Chen. Tillman and Jimenez need to be horses for this team. Second, Cruz, as we know, is not a good outfielder. If the game continues long-term to expose his shortcomings with the leather, Buck may need to rethink starting him regularly in LF against southpaws.

A look ahead: The Orioles are clearly expecting tomorrow's afternoon game in Detroit to be postponed. Hence, they scratched Gausman from his AAA start to join the bullpen for a potential (read: likely) Saturday doubleheader in Motown. A rainout may be a blessing given that Buck just mentioned in his presser that the Orioles will not fly out of Baltimore until 1:00 a.m. due to plane difficulties. The Tigers are tough, but the Baltimore starters for the first two games, Gonzalez and Norris, are two of the most impressive pitchers we saw in Spring Training last month. Win at least one of those and give me a Sunday rubber match or chance to sweep with Tillman against Verlander.

Thank God baseball is back...

No comments:

Post a Comment